I know I haven't blogged much during
this time as an Au Pair.
It's been a very roller-coaster
experience and sometimes hard to keep track of all the changes.
Due to not having the correct documents
for a Residence Permit in Austria, I won't be staying more than the
90 day US tourist passport allowance. This is also coupled with
multiple talks with the Host Parents and agreeing that while we get
along fine, it's not the perfect fit for a long term arrangement.
I remember that sometime between
booking my flight and actually leaving, I started wondering if this
would be more than a “Spring Fling” so to say. I was flying out
about week after Spring started and if I could only stay within the 3 month allowance, than I would be leaving about a week after the
official shift to Summer. I had seen a brief statement about the
needed certificate for proof of German Language knowledge and had an
inkling that I might not be able to have this the right time frame to
then apply for the permit.
I have been taking a language course here,
but it was only after starting it did I discover that it's just a
participation class and there are no tests at the completion that
will issue the certificate specifically required by the government
here for a US citizen.
I don't regret this class, though. It's
the place I've been able to really make some friends – not just
friendly people that know my Host Family.
Once it was clear that my hopeful 12
month experience would now be only a 1/4th of that time
frame, I started wondering what I should do next.
While Skyping with my boyfriend, he
suggested my grandparent's house in California. At first I didn't
really see what I could do there. But a couple days later I Skyped
with my mom for Mother's Day and she mentioned that my grandpa is having some health issues, so its best to always have someone around in case he needs assistance. This is putting a lot of stress on my grandma who is very
young-at-heart and social. She loves going out with friends and
things, but now has to really change the way she plans things out to
make sure she is available at the house as much as possible.
My Uncle lives in a different city and
comes up as often as he can. He is very family-oriented and great at being involved with all of our different paths of life.
This development seems like the right
timing for me to spend time with my family on the West Coast.
My
other grandma passed away about 5 years after we moved to Florida and
I still wish I could have spent more time with her as a teenager,
since I know the dynamics are different when you're older and can
appreciate and remember all the things that can be learned from their
life experiences. I really want to use this opportunity to glean
things from my grandparent's and also help around the house as much
as possible, while still giving independence to all 3 of us.
So, I should be back in Florida for
part of July, to organize some things, see as many friends as
possible, and hopefully go dancing! Then it'll be California for at
least 3 months while I try to figure out what's next for me. :)
I'm very grateful to all who have been
supportive of me as I've pursued this option and everything that has
come from trying it. It seems like too often in life, we don't always
appreciate our community until things get shaken-up from the daily
norm.
No comments:
Post a Comment