While I was in Scotland, during a conference one of the people speaking told us about Coracles.
A coracle is an Irish boat. There was a period of time when these boats were primarily being utilized by someone who did not have a destination, but they were assured God was going to guide them where He wanted them to be. They would launch out in blind faith and see where the tide took them.
I have kept this image in mind as 2011 came to a close and I ventured into 2012.
Last Saturday I was grappling with letting something go that I'd been holding onto for so long. As I sat in my friend's car, sharing what was on my heart I found myself using the metaphor of ships.
Too often we let barnacles and sea anemones build up and cover up our lives. We forget to be diligent in maintaining our vessel unto God. When we finally realize this junk is no good for the integrity of our framework, we now have to put in hours of backbreaking, sun-scorching labor to be rid of all that's weighing us down.
Why do we ever let things slow us down?
And then there's the flip side of trying to furl our sails to catch any hint of wind to speed us along to whatever destination we think sounds like it might be maybe what God possibly wants for us .........
We wrestle to take control of the helm from the One who knows the path, the waters, the stars, and the ultimate place He has set for us to discover.
I said to my friend, "We forget that Jesus has already run the race of life. He is deeply aware of all the trials and fears we experience. Not only does He know my specific journey, He is taking in every journey that is happening now, that has happened, and will happen. It makes sense that when we disobey Him, our life turns into a shipwreck."
There is something so satisfying when you realize you serve a Captain who you can completely trust and you can take joy in living out His orders while navigating the seas. Or as Matthew 8:27 puts it "And the men marveled, saying, 'What sort of man is this, that even winds and sea obey him?'"
He is a good Man, He is a steady Man.
If we are obedient and diligent under His command, He can bring smooth sailing to your ship.
Christ is the sort of Man who can bring peace even to dangerous storms. How much more will He pour out peace to you if you are fully attentive to His voice as He calls out to you?
I end with a question I'm finding myself needing to constantly ask myself. It may sound simple, but it is powerful and potent.
Do you trust God?
Good question! It's so hard sometimes!
ReplyDeleteBut I like your analogy of the barnacles. It made me think of grace too. Sometimes we pick up things that only slow us down but no captain gets mad at the ship for picking up barnacles, He knows what it's like down underwater and He's not worried about it, He just takes us in to dry dock and gently cleans away what doesn't belong.