I know I've fallen into the mindset of, "Oh, how I wish I had self-control." but that's more lip-service than anything because the moment I verbalize this idea that makes me sound so spiritually aware of my downfalls, I happily continue in whatever it is that I've imprisoned myself in.
Be it watching movies and TV shows when I have responsibilities waiting or staying up way too late refreshing Facebook or taking that second (or third) helping of food. I'll have moments of guilt and realization that I need to temper my behavior, but they don't really make a permanent change to my actions.
As long as I realize I'm over-indulging in things that aren't the best for me, I'm fine, right? Don't they always say the main thing is admitting you have a problem?
If I can get what I want and I can have it NOW why deny myself?
It's not enough to just wish to reign in all our wishes and desires. We need to live this out in action and in deed. It is essential to getting the focus of life off ourselves and onto to the Father, Son, and Spirit.
Galatians 5:22-24 ~ But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
2 Peter 1:2-11 ~ Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, so that by them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble; for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.
and in Matthew 26:41 and Mark 14:38 ~ Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.
Jesus conducted Himself in self-control and listened intently to what His Father said and the directions He gave.
Hebrews 2:17-18 ~ Therefore, He had to be made like His brethren in all things, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people. For since He Himself was tempted in that which He has suffered, He is able to come to the aid of those who are tempted.
Hebrews 4:12-16 ~ For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Building and exercising Self-Control should not be an afterthought and last resort. It should be one of our first actions of faith and trust in the Godhead each day. We shouldn't dance dangerously close to the flames of lust and/or selfishness.
James 1:13-15 ~ Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
[In my previous blogpost "True Desires" I go more in depth regarding sexual temptation:
http://shehasflowersinherhair.blogspot.com/2011/05/true-desires.html ]
http://shehasflowersinherhair.blogspot.com/2011/05/true-desires.html ]
Self-control and denying selfish tendencies are essential to being able to live fully for Christ. I feel like our approach to life can be so backwards to what Jesus calls us to in the Bible. It seems like our lives often say, "I'll just go about feeding what I think I need and what I long for and then, when it gets out of hand, I'll do some damage control. Better to have experienced pleasure and ask for forgiveness later than to feel like I'm missing out."
When we accepted His saving grace, His forgiveness washed clean our fleshly nature.
Galatians 2:18-21 ~ "For if I rebuild what I have once destroyed, I prove myself to be a transgressor. For through the Law I died to the Law, so that I might live to God. I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness comes through the Law, then Christ died needlessly."
Matthew 16:24-27 ~ Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS."
We need to live in the Spiritual Freedom He has provided for us. No more holding onto ruts, habits, and comfort zones that only feed our self-sufficiency and stifle the works of God in our journey of life.
Let us pour out our lives in obedience to our Lord.
No comments:
Post a Comment