Thursday, September 29, 2011

True Honesty about the Honest Truth

In light of my recent time in Holland, I had a curious epiphany. The Dutch culture is known for being straight forward in conversation - no topic is off limits, they don't really get offended easily.

My whole life I've been "sensitive" and worried/fearful of what others think of me. That being said, it makes it all the more surprising to discover that I enjoy - even revel in - cultures and people who operate on a truthful, blunt, to-the-point way of doing things.

I think the thing that has made me sensitive and fearful of thoughts is the air of mean-spiritedness masked by fakeness. It's the fear of the unknown - "What do they secretly think of me? Are they talking behind my back?" - that is painful as opposed to someone being upfront with me.

So far the people I've encountered that are blunt and truthful do it for the other person's good, not to go "Ha! Look, I'm better than you!"
There is a feeling of ease and relief when I'm around people who care enough to not beat around the bush with me. It feels like it frees up so much and there is not stress when talking about any subject. When another is willing to hear you out and in turn be truthful about how they see or feel about things - even if they don't agree - it builds trust, encouragement, community/fellowship, self-confidence, and freedom into each others lives.

The more I thought of these treasured relationships and conversations, I suddenly related it to my interactions with God.
God is ALWAYS truthful with us. Sometimes I plug my ears, harden my heart, and distract myself from hearing Him out. But it's the moments when I just sit in openness to what He's speaking to me and hear Him getting straight to the point that I realize His love and care for me and that allows for strengthening growth in my life to happen.

I honestly can't express enough how encouraging Truth is. :)

2 comments:

  1. Well, you got me thinking...I need to be more blunt with people...when they know I'm trying to help them that is. If it's a fashion identity crisis, and I tell them that's no good...well that's just my opinion. Lol but if it's life changing decisions, then I'll try not to hold back in fear of hurting feelings.
    Good post! I miss ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! lol, true, opinions are different than sharing insight :)
    thanks! miss you too!

    ReplyDelete